Translate science into practice with Prevention Strategist, APIC’s signature magazine. This quarterly publication provides members with evidence-based strategies and practical guidance from leading experts to help prevent infection.
- View the Prevention Strategist 2017 publishing schedule.
- Access information for authors and editorial guidelines.
- Please contact email@example.com to order article reprints.
- For advertising inquiries, contact:
Prevention Strategist—Summer 2017
Infection preventionists front and center
- How clean is your scope? (Open access)
- When duty calls – a partnership between fire and rescue and infection preventionists
- An infection preventionist’s role in sepsis care
- Moving from wishing to success: Pointers for a successful abstract submission (Open access)
- Identify the pathogen!
- APIC 2017 award recipients (Open access)
- A reflection on CIC certification (Open access)
Prevention Strategist—Spring 2017
Cover story: Contaminated heater-cooler devices in open-heart surgery
- Contaminated heater-cooler devices used during open heart surgery (Open access)
- Changes in The Joint Commission survey process
- Increasing the value of the IP (Open access)
- From data to decisions: Creating and interpreting quantiles
- Identify the pathogen: Norovirus (Open access)
- APIC 2017 sneak peek: Interviews with Celeste Headlee and Sanjay Saint (Open access)
Prevention Strategist—Winter 2016
Cover story: Engaging nurses in antibiotic stewardship
- ANA/CDC working group for engaging nurses in antibiotic stewardship: Leadership interview
- How to prepare—Learning to practice like we play Open access
- Elevating our profession Open access
- A day in the life of an infection preventionist
- From data to decisions: Making the use of frequency tables and distributions Open access
- Budget advocacy: From A to Zika Open access
Access the supplement: States Targeting Reduction in Infections via Engagement (STRIVE) program supplement and download the Glossary of Terms.
Prevention Strategist—Fall 2016
Cover story: Break the chain of infection
- What IPs need to know about Candida auris, mcr-1, and Legionella
- Sepsis and antimicrobial stewardship
- A new definition of "contagious"
- Engaging others in infection prevention
The Roadmap for the Novice Infection Preventionist
The Roadmap for the Novice Infection Preventionist provides tasks, knowledge, skills, abilities, and resources to take an infection preventionist from day 1 on the job through passing the Certification in Infection Prevention and Control (CIC®) exam.
Prevention Strategist—Summer 2016
Cover story: Constructing Collaboration
- Design, planning, construction, and activation from an infection prevention perspective
- Gastroenterology and infection prevention colleagues partner for patient safety Open access
- Building a new antimicrobial stewardship program Open access
- From data to decisions: Dipping a toe into the data ocean
- What IPs should know about Zika virus Open access
- Infection prevention: Spanning the generations Open access
Prevention Strategist—Spring 2016
Cover story: Inspiration for your infection prevention program
- Models of effective antimicrobial stewardship programs Open access
- Collaborative problem solving and conflict resolution Open access
- APIC 2016 sneak peek: Why IPs should think like “freaks” Open access
- The case for a horizontal approach: IPs share their success story for VRE and MRSA
- Identifying the pathogen: Streptococcus pyogenes
Prevention Strategist—Winter 2015
Cover story: Crosswalks to the literature: Endoscope reprocessing and CHG use
- Endoscope crosswalk: Critical guideline review
- CHG crosswalk: Critical guideline review
- Infection prevention emergencies on Friday at 4:30 p.m.
- Engaging staff in infection prevention education
- Meet a CIC: Ida Lyn E. Benemerito
- Improving processes using your animal nature
Prevention Strategist—Fall 2015
Cover story: Thinking outside the box: IPs in action
- Sherlockian ability and teamwork uncover the Blue Bell listeria outbreak
- An IP's guide to evaluating research
- IPs: Your message has been heard
- Preventing hospital-acquired pneumonia (HAP) outside of the ventilator-associated pneumonia bundle
- Infection prevention leadership: Leading with the heart
Prevention Strategist—Summer 2015
Cover story: Lessons learned: Questions and concerns regarding safety of endoscopes and validity of manufacturer guidance
- Hand hygiene hurdles: How can we overcome them?
- Perspective from Australia—Routine culturing and surveillance of endoscopes
- Infection prevention leadership: My personal journey
- Measles in the U.S.: Discussions with public health representatives