- Infection Prevention Training & Education
- APIC 2020 Annual Conference
- Face-to-Face Learning
- Online Learning
- CIC Certification
- NEW! Bundled Learning Options
- Group Training
- EPI® in Long-Term Care Certificate Series
- APIC/SHEA Joint Leadership Development Course
- Applied Learning Conference
- Accreditation & Contact Hours
Earn your EPI Intensive Certificate with this fast-paced interactive course which combines four days of in-person training with online pre-and post-course learning.
Registration for 2020 course locations opening soon!
This intensive training course covers essential training and competency-building in infection prevention and control (IPC) for healthcare professionals. You will learn evidenced-based best practices to develop an effective IPC program to protect patients, reduce risk, and comply with accrediting and regulatory requirements.
- Hands-on interactive sessions that cover the fundamentals of IPC in only 4 days
- Blended educational approach that maximizes your learning
- Certificate of achievement that demonstrates your competency and boosts your credibility
View a sample agenda for our EPI Intensive Certificate here.
Early Bird Member Price:
Early Bird Non-Member Price:
Rates increase $150 after Early Bird pricing deadlines. Register early to save.
2020 EPI Intensive Dates & Locations
Plan ahead for 2020! Dates and locations for the 2020 EPI Intensive Certificate courses are available below.
DoubleTree by Hilton
Sheraton Portland Airport Hotel
Hilton San Diego Airport/Harbor Island
Interested in these Fall EPI courses? Sign up below and you’ll be the first to hear when registration opens in the spring!
*co-located with an ASC Intensive Course
** co-located with 4-day CIC Preparation Course
About the Course
The course introduces the various roles and responsibilities of the infection preventionist (IP) and uses a risk assessment framework for understanding IPC. Scenarios, case studies, digital flashcards, group activities, and open discussion will help you learn how to practice and apply fundamental IPC knowledge to enhance your competency as an IP. The course includes access to five online modules to reinforce learning. Enrollment is limited for each class to ensure a quality learning experience and enhanced networking.
Upon completion of this course, attendees will be able to:
- Develop an effective IPC risk assessment plan, including understanding risk and effective IPC program management related to employees, environment, population health, devices, procedures, and quality improvement.
- Understand the core principles of IPC including epidemiology; microbiology; pathogens and diseases; cleaning, disinfection, and sterilization basics.
- Define the role of the IP in meeting standards and requirements across the continuum of care.
- Identify key drivers and components of a high-performing IPC team and program.
- Explain the key elements of IPC rounding.
- Explain the basics of implementation science.
- Apply APIC’s updated Competency Model to your work and ongoing professional development.
To earn the EPI Intensive Certificate and available 34 CEs, participants must complete all program components:
- 4-days of face-to-face training led by experienced instructors (28 contact hours awarded for attendance and evaluation)
- Five online modules to reinforce learning
- 6 hours of online EPI modules, with knowledge checks to support learning
- Limited enrollment for each class to ensure a quality learning experience and enhanced networking.
- Pre- and post-course self-evaluation
- Program evaluation
If you are interested in EPI Intensive Certificate onsite or virtual group training click here.
2019 Attendee Testimonials
Hundreds of infection preventionists attend an EPI Intensive course each year. Hear what your fellow IPs have to say about this program:
“An amazing course that provided me with the baseline I needed to be able to perform my job efficiently, as well as showing me how I can advance my career in Infection Prevention. I highly recommend!”
“I thoroughly enjoyed my time at this event. I will be using almost 100% of the content. The speakers were well-versed and knowledgeable.”
“I really appreciated the amount of interaction utilized during this course. It fostered communication between attendees, and engaged us in IP-related problem solving with excellent instructors!”
“I enjoyed this experience as a new IP. The speakers were very informative and thoughtful in connecting with the listeners on the topics. They both provided a wealth of information I will use in my IP career.”
Registration fee includes attendance, one-year access to select online modules, course materials, continental breakfast, and lunch. It does not include travel expenses (airfare and hotel accommodations). Course fees are shown below.
APIC offers special group registration options for organizations registering four or more individuals from the same institution for a course.
4-9 registrants: 5% discount per person
10+ registrants: 10% discount per person
To register a group:
- Contact email@example.com for group registration form.
- Complete a registration form for each individual and submit with group form for pricing to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note: All registrants must be identified at this time and no late additions will be permitted.
- Group invoice will be generated for processing of payment (credit card or check) for registration.
- Each registrant will receive an email confirmation once payment is processed and registrations are complete.
Please Note: Group registrations are not confirmed until payment is received and must be processed by APIC on or before the registration deadline.
Accreditation, Contact Hours, and Evaluation
The Association for Professionals in Infection Control and Epidemiology, Inc. (APIC) is accredited with distinction as a provider of continuing nursing education by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation (ANCC).
To receive your credit hours, you must complete all program components as listed above, including the program evaluation online. Course evaluations will be available via an online link provided in course materials. The evaluation for the 4-day in-person training must be completed within 30 days. Participants have up to one year to complete all the online components of the program. After satisfying all requirements, your EPI Intensive Certificate will be available to print and/or for your records indicating contact hours.
Accredited status does not imply endorsement by APIC or the American Nurses Credentialing Center of any commercial products displayed or discussed in conjunction with an educational activity. While APIC is approved to provide contact hours, APIC’s educational programs may be eligible for continuing education units from other accrediting bodies. Please contact the accrediting body for more information on eligibility requirements and submission instructions.
A $75 cancellation fee will be charged to all cancelled registrations. Cancellations must be in writing and received via fax or email no later than 5 business days prior to the start of the course. No refunds or credits/transfers will be granted after this deadline. Participants who are “no shows” will not be granted a refund or credit/transfer of registration fees. Please submit cancellation requests to email@example.com or via fax to (202) 789-1899.
Please note: Registration fees may only be transferred to the same course within the same calendar year based on space availability.
Substitutes are allowed. Please see substitution policy below for further details.
All substitution requests must be received by APIC Headquarters via fax or e-mail 10 days prior to the start of the course.
Work in an ambulatory surgery care (ASC) practice setting? We have programs customized to your needs! Please explore our ASC Intensive course.