EPI Intensive Certificate
- Infection Prevention Training & Education
- APIC 2020 Annual Conference
- Face-to-Face Learning
- Online Learning
- CIC Certification
- NEW! Bundled Learning Options
- Group Training
- EPI® in Long-Term Care Certificate Series
- APIC/SHEA Joint Leadership Development Course
- Applied Learning Conference
- Accreditation & Contact Hours
Need to claim contact hours from a 2019 course?
- Select "My Courses" in the top right corner of the homepage
- Log in using your APIC username (email) and password if you aren't currently logged in.
- When on your course Dashboard, click the Launch button to complete the survey
- Once you have completed the survey, visit "My Transcripts → My Grades" to download your certificate.
Note: if you are looking for evaluations from an Intensive prior to 2019, please follow this link and log in with your APIC ID (badge ID) and password "apic"
Join us in Albuquerque, New Mexico, for this interactive course which combines four days of in-person training with online pre-and post-course learning.
March 2 – 5, 2020
DoubleTree by Hilton Albuquerque
This course, designed for infection preventionists with 3 years or less of experience, provides fundamental infection prevention training for healthcare professionals working in different practice settings.
You’ll learn the various roles and responsibilities of the IP and get a risk assessment framework for understanding IPC. Scenarios, case studies, digital flashcards, group activities, and open discussion will help you learn how to practice and apply fundamental IPC knowledge to enhance your competency.
Benefits of Attending
This interactive program is comprised of hands-on sessions that cover the fundamentals of IPC in only 4 days. Our blended educational approach maximizes your learning and allows you to earn a certificate of achievement that demonstrates your completion of competency-based program requirements and boosts your credibility.
Upon completion of this course, you will be able to:
- Develop an effective IPC risk assessment plan, and understand IPC program management related to employees, environment, population health, devices, procedures, and quality improvement.
- Understand the core principles of IPC including epidemiology, microbiology, pathogens and diseases, and cleaning, disinfection, and sterilization basics.
- Define the role of the IP across the continuum of care.
- Identify key drivers and components of a high-performing IPC team and program.
- Explain the key elements of IPC rounding and the basics of implementation science.
- Apply APIC’s updated Competency Model to your work and professional development.
To earn the EPI Intensive Certificate and available 34 CEs, participants must complete all program components:
- 4-days of face-to-face training led by experienced instructors
- Five online modules to reinforce learning
- 6 hours of online EPI modules, with knowledge checks to support learning
- Limited enrollment for each class to ensure a quality learning experience and enhanced networking.
- Pre- and post-course self-evaluation
- Program evaluation
View a sample agenda for our EPI Intensive Certificate here.
Hotel and Travel
This EPI Intensive Certificate program is located in beautiful Albuquerque, NM. One of the oldest cities in the United States, Albuquerque boasts a unique blend of multicultural history and heritage, traditional and new cuisine, and phenomenal shopping and arts. Set against the dramatic Sandia Mountains, Albuquerque is a thriving and dynamic city that serves as a perfect backdrop for this learning experience.
Average weather in March is generally mild, with daytime temperatures ranging from 60°F to 68°F.
Albuquerque is served by Albuquerque International Sunport (ABQ) which welcomes nearly five million travelers a year and is served by nine commercial airlines. Albuquerque is also a major stop for both Amtrak and Greyhound and should you prefer to drive, highways I-25 and I-40 intersect in the city.
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Albuquerque
201 Marquette Avenue Northwest
Tel: (505) 247-3344
Rate: $130/night for King or Double room
Book by 2/14 to reserve this rate!
Located downtown, DoubleTree is the only hotel conveniently connected to the Albuquerque Convention Center via an underground concourse. The Albuquerque International Airport is 4.5 miles from the hotel, and complimentary airport shuttle service is available daily. Offering stunning views of the Sandia Mountains, this Albuquerque hotel provides a unique, relaxing setting in the heart of the city.
Paying by check, or prefer to register via mail? Download a registration form.
Sharon Williamson, MBA, MT(ASCP)SM, CIC, FAPIC
Ms. Williamson has been employed by Texas Health Resources for the past 30 years and is currently the Senior Director of Infection Prevention for the healthcare system, including 14 acute care facilities spanning the Dallas-Fort Worth metroplex. She earned her Bachelor of Science in Medical Technology from Lamar University and her MBA in Healthcare Management from University of Texas at Tyler. Williamson is certified as both a Medical Technologist and Specialist in Microbiology by the American College of Clinical Pathologists (ASCP).
Peg Gilbert, RN, MS, CIC, FAPIC
Ms. Gilbert is the owner of Quality IC, LLC. The focus of her business is to improve infection prevention practices in healthcare facilities using proven quality improvement strategies. Recently she authored a course on Becoming a Safe Injection Champion as part of a CDC grant awarded to the Nebraska Department of Health and Human Services. Gilbert is an infection control consultant and has received the Distinguished Service award from both the Nebraska APIC chapter and the Nebraska Infection Control Network. She has a master’s degree in nursing with an emphasis in adult education from Creighton University. .
Registration fee includes attendance, one-year access to select online modules, course materials, continental breakfast, and lunch. It does not include travel expenses (airfare and hotel accommodations). Course fees are shown below.
APIC offers special group registration options for organizations registering four or more individuals from the same institution for a course.
4-9 registrants: 5% discount per person
10+ registrants: 10% discount per person
To register a group:
- Contact email@example.com for group registration form.
- Complete a registration form for each individual and submit with group form for pricing to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note: All registrants must be identified at this time and no late additions will be permitted.
- Group invoice will be generated for processing of payment (credit card or check) for registration.
- Each registrant will receive an email confirmation once payment is processed and registrations are complete.
Please Note: Group registrations are not confirmed until payment is received and must be processed by APIC on or before the registration deadline.
Accreditation, Contact Hours, and Evaluation
The Association for Professionals in Infection Control and Epidemiology, Inc. (APIC) is accredited with distinction as a provider of continuing nursing education by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation (ANCC).
To receive your credit hours, you must complete all program components as listed above, including the program evaluation online. Course evaluations will be available via an online link provided in course materials. The evaluation for the 4-day in-person training must be completed within 30 days. Participants have up to one year to complete all the online components of the program. After satisfying all requirements, your EPI Intensive Certificate will be available to print and/or for your records indicating contact hours.
Accredited status does not imply endorsement by APIC or the American Nurses Credentialing Center of any commercial products displayed or discussed in conjunction with an educational activity. While APIC is approved to provide contact hours, APIC’s educational programs may be eligible for continuing education units from other accrediting bodies. Please contact the accrediting body for more information on eligibility requirements and submission instructions.
A $75 cancellation fee will be charged to all cancelled registrations. Cancellations must be in writing and received via fax or email no later than 5 business days prior to the start of the course. No refunds or credits/transfers will be granted after this deadline. Participants who are “no shows” will not be granted a refund or credit/transfer of registration fees. Please submit cancellation requests to email@example.com or via fax to (202) 789-1899.
Please note: Registration fees may only be transferred to the same course within the same calendar year based on space availability.
Substitutes are allowed. Please see substitution policy below for further details.
All substitution requests must be received by APIC Headquarters via fax or e-mail 10 days prior to the start of the course.
2020 EPI Intensive Dates & Locations
These dates don’t work with your schedule? Choose another course date that works for you!
DoubleTree by Hilton Orlando
Sheraton Portland Airport Hotel
Hilton Garden Inn Atlanta-Buckhead
Sheraton Suites Market Center
Hilton San Diego Airport/Harbor Island
*co-located with an ASC Intensive Course
**co-located with 4-day CIC Preparation Course
If you are interested in EPI Intensive Certificate onsite or virtual group training click here.