APIC was founded in 1972 by a pioneering group of infection control nurses who recognized the need for an organized approach to preventing healthcare-associated infections. APIC is now a multidisciplinary organization which serves more than 14,000 members in 48 countries.
- Visit the timeline to explore APIC’s rich history.
- See the full list of APIC’s founders, including the first board of directors, executive committee, and steering committee.
- View a list of APIC’s past presidents and read some of their reflections about the organization.
- Read historical reflections of past presidents in the article titled “40 years of growth and progress” in the winter 2012 issue of Prevention Strategist.
- Watch a video and find out what forty years of growth and progress has meant to members.