Hospital floors may pose a larger health risk than previously thought
Existing reprocessing techniques prove insufficient for flexible endoscopes
What's new at APIC
APIC & JCR release workbook to help healthcare professionals implement IPC programs
To meet the needs of the ever-changing field of infection prevention, APIC, in partnership with Joint Commission Resources (JCR), has released The APIC/JCR Infection Prevention and Control Workbook, Third Edition. The APIC/JCR Workbook is designed to help infection preventionists (IPs) and their healthcare organizations implement evidence-based infection prevention and control (IPC) programs that can effectively reduce the risk of infection for patients, personnel, and visitors.
APIC announces recipient of Graduate Student Award for infection prevention
APIC today announced the recipient of the APIC Graduate Student Award (AGSA). An award of $5,000 was provided for a one-year period (January-December 2017). The recipient, Mary Jo Knobloch, MPH, received her degree from the University of Wisconsin (UW), School of Pharmacy, Social and Administrative Sciences, where she is pursuing her PhD.
Tap into your network │ Reap big rewards
The APIC Member-Get-A-Member Campaign is an opportunity to encourage nonmember infection preventionists to join APIC. Each new member you recruit through April 30 puts you closer to one of three American Express gift card prizes...
Sharpen your statistics skills— no travel necessary
The Basic Statistics for Infection Preventionists online course addresses the role of statistics in infection prevention, provides steps in statistical analysis, and will teach you...
Prevention Strategist—Spring 2017
Cover story: Contaminated heater-cooler devices in open-heart surgery
- Contaminated heater-cooler devices used during open heart surgery (Open access)
- Changes in The Joint Commission survey process (Open access)
- Increasing the value of the IP (Open access)
- From data to decisions: Creating and interpreting quantiles
- Identify the pathogen: Norovirus (Open access)
- APIC 2017 sneak peek: Interviews with Celeste Headlee and Sanjay Saint (Open access)
American Journal of Infection Control—March 2017
- Process control charts in infection prevention: Make it simple to make it happen
- Social cohesion: The missing factor required for a successful hand hygiene program
- Smartphone text message service to foster hand hygiene compliance in health care workers
- Reduction in hospital-associated methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus and vancomycin-resistant Enterococcus with daily chlorhexidine gluconate bathing for medical inpatients
- The behind-the-scenes activity of parental decision-making discourse regarding childhood vaccination
- Are hospital floors an underappreciated reservoir for transmission of health care-associated pathogens?