Empowering patients effectively improves physician hand hygiene
Failures in stethoscope hygiene can lead to patient infections
What's new at APIC
Scholarships available for certification through CAA program
Announcing the Competency Advancement Assistance (CAA) Program for 2017-2018! This program provides financial assistance for Certification in Infection Prevention and Control (CIC®) preparatory resources and reimbursement for exam fees. Apply by October 1.
Elaine Larson honored as 'Living Legend'
Elaine Larson, PhD, RN, CIC, FAAN, FAPIC, received the highly acclaimed designation of Living Legend from the American Academy of Nursing. One of five individuals deemed exceptionally accomplished in nursing and healthcare over the course of their careers, Dr. Larson will officially receive the Academy's highest honor at a special ceremony during its policy conference in Washington, D.C. in October.
What IPs need to know about the SSI Guideline
In May 2017, the CDC released its “Guideline for the Prevention of Surgical Site Infection” to provide new and updated evidence-based recommendations for the prevention of SSI. Read “What the infection preventionist needs to know,” by Michael Anne Preas, Lyndsay O’Hara, and Kerri Thom, for a succinct and timely overview of what’s new in the guideline and what you need to know.
Ready-made social media posts for you to share
Are you looking for a way to contribute to the #infectionprevention conversation on social media? Do you need relevant posts to share with your followers? Are you looking for fresh content for your newsfeeds to raise your infection prevention profile? APIC has created a new webpage to house the social media posts and resources you need! All you have to do is copy, paste, and post!
Prevention Strategist—Summer 2017
Infection preventionists front and center
- How clean is your scope? (Open access)
- When duty calls – a partnership between fire and rescue and infection preventionists
- An infection preventionist’s role in sepsis care
- Moving from wishing to success: Pointers for a successful abstract submission (Open access)
- Identify the pathogen!
- APIC 2017 award recipients (Open access)
- A reflection on CIC certification (Open access)
American Journal of Infection Control—August 2017
- Use of a patient empowerment tool for hand hygiene
- Efficacy of the World Health Organization–recommended handwashing technique and a modified washing technique to remove Clostridium difficile from hands
- Monitoring the hand hygiene compliance of health care workers in a general intensive care unit: Use of continuous closed circle television versus overt observation
- The effectiveness of sterilization for flexible ureteroscopes: A real-world study