APIC and CDC develop Quick Observation Tools to help prevent HAIs
APIC underscores the top ways to protect patients during IIPW
What's new at APIC
Information on Acute Flaccid Myelitis
You might have heard recently in the news about a polio-like illness that is cropping up across the United States. This illness is called acute flaccid myelitis (AFM). To date, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), there have been 219 reports of possible cases with 80 cases of AFM confirmed. The CDC also reports that there are 25 states with confirmed cases of AFM. The CDC has resources for clinicians as well as families on the signs, symptoms, and treatment of this illness.
Certification: The Defining Difference
APIC has launched its Certification: The Defining Difference campaign. This state-based legislative effort encourages new infection preventionists (IPs) to become certified in infection control. APIC is in the process of promoting this legislation in state legislatures. Learn more.
New IP recruitment video: Infection Preventionists Save Lives
APIC recently introduced a new recruitment video that can be used by anyone to introduce students, interns, staff, and administrators to the infection preventionist role.
We encourage you to share this in your organization and community and to let us know how you are using it to raise awareness about the role of the IP.
The video is available on our YouTube channel and also by clicking the link below:
A special thanks to the University of Maryland Medical Center IPC team for their invaluable assistance in the production and filming of this video!
Hurricane and flooding resources
Access flood and hurricane infection prevention information
American Journal of Infection Control—November 2018
- Creation of a competency-based professional development program for infection preventionists guided by the APIC Competency Model: steps in the process
- Factors for compliance with infection control practices in home healthcare: findings from a survey of nurses' knowledge and attitudes toward infection control
- Exploring the use of entertainment-education YouTube videos focused on infection prevention and control
- Identification of surgical site infections using electronic health record data
- Influenza vaccine coverage and predictive factors associated with influenza vaccine uptake among pediatric patients