Topic-specific infection prevention
- The APIC Text Online
- Industry Perspectives
- APIC Text Online
- Career Center
- Infection Prevention and You
- APIC Consulting Services, Inc.
- APIC Program of Distinction
- Cost calculators
- Topic-specific infection prevention
- Antimicrobial Stewardship
- Catheter-associated urinary tract infection (CAUTI)
- Central Line-associated Bloodstream Infections (CLABSI)
- Clostridioides difficile
- Disinfection and Sterilization
- Ebola Infection Prevention and Control Resources
- Environmental Services
- Environment of Care
- Hand Hygiene
- Long-Term Care
- Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus Aureus
- Vaccine Preventable Diseases
- Quick Observation Tools
Catheter-associated urinary tract infections (CAUTI) develop either during or after placement of a urinary catheter. CAUTI has been shown to increase patient morbidity and mortality, increase length of stay, and add to the cost of care. This page contains CAUTI prevention resources and education for both healthcare professionals and consumers.
The following links are APIC resources on CAUTI prevention for healthcare professionals.
Implementation guides and tools
- Strategies to Prevent Catheter-Associated Urinary Tract Infections in Acute Care Hospitals: 2014 Update—Society for Healthcare Epidemiology of America (APIC collaborated with SHEA and other organizations on development of this resource)
- Guide to Preventing Catheter-Associated Urinary Tract Infections—Implementation Guide
- On the CUSP: Stop CAUTI—APIC’s role in the national implementation of CUSP to eliminate HAIs
- Federal HAI Reporting To NHSN—PowerPoint
- The Importance of Surveillance Technologies in the Prevention of Healthcare-Associated Infections (HAIs)—APIC Position paper
- NHSN CAUTI infection surveillance in 2015, presented February 17, 2015
- APIC Text (subscription required)
Education & training
APIC offers a comprehensive collection of clinical education and professional development programs. The following resources are educational opportunities related to CAUTI. Visit the Education & Certification page for more educational opportunities.
- Stop catheter-associated urinary tract infections (CAUTI) in critically ill patients—APIC/HRET infographic
- The power of 10: Your role in preventing catheter-associated urinary tract infections in nursing homes—APIC/HRET infographic to educate consumers
- A New Role for Infection Preventionist – Corporate Wide IP Consultants and Directors for Multi-Hospital Systems—APIC Webinar
- Bridging the Gap: Establishing a Working Relationship with Anesthesiology—APIC Webinar
- Visit the APIC 2016 Annual Conference website to search for education on CAUTI education
Prevention Strategist articles
The following links include articles on CAUTI prevention from APIC’s Prevention Strategist magazine.
- Preventing CAUTI: A patient-centered approach
- On the CUSP: Stop CAUTI supplement—Spring 2014
- Ready, set, implement!
- CAUTI resources: Comprehensive Unit-based Safety Program (CUSP)—Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality
- Vital Signs: Protect Patients from Antibiotic Resistance, March 2016—Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- CDC’s Antibiotic Resistance Patient Safety Atlas—Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- Catheter-Associated Urinary Tract Infection (CAUTI) Event—Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, National Healthcare Safety Network
- Guidelines for the prevention of catheter-associated urinary tract infections, 2009—Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
The following links are APIC and external resources on CAUTI and infection prevention for consumers.
- The power of 10: Your role in preventing catheter-associated urinary tract infections in nursing homes—APIC/HRET infographic for consumers
- Urinary tract infections—Monthly alert for consumers
- What is an HAI?—Monthly alert for consumers