Exposure to germs in the environment can lead to illness in both patients and healthcare professionals. Environmental infection prevention and control strategies can effectively prevent healthcare-associated infections. This page contains environmental infection prevention resources and education for both healthcare professionals and consumers.
The following links are APIC and external resources on environmental services for healthcare professionals.
Implementation guides and tools
- APIC Text (subscription required)
Education & training
APIC offers a comprehensive collection of clinical education and professional development programs. The following resources are educational opportunities related to environmental services. Visit the Education & Certification page for more educational opportunities.
- Environmental Cleaning: Roles and Responsibilities - APIC Webinar
- How Clean is Clean? The Challenges of Disinfecting Porous and Nonporous Surfaces in Healthcare Environments - APIC Webinar
- "Best" Practices for Surface Disinfection—APIC Webinar
- Knowledge to Action in the Healthcare Environment: Critical Competencies—APIC Webinar
- Role of surfaces in the transmission of emerging healthcare-associated pathogens: norovirus, Clostridium difficile and Acinetobacter spp—APIC Webinar
- Comprehensive HAI Prevention: Finding and Controlling the Sources of Resistant Bacterial Transmission in the Healthcare Setting—APIC Webinar
- Visit the APIC 2016 Annual Conference website to search for education on environmental services
- Access the APIC 2015 Conference Proceedings for sessions on environmental services
Search the American Journal of Infection Control website for more articles on environmental services. To access these articles, you need to first login to the APIC website. Additionally, you can search the AJIC website for articles from the Environmental Hygiene Article Collection.
- Environmental cleaning for the prevention of healthcare-associated infections—Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality
- Guidelines for environmental infection control in healthcare facilities—Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, MMWR
- Upping the game for OR cleaning with monitoring and partnerships—OR Manager article
- Cleaning environment, patient equipment, and medical devices policy—an example by Shore Health System
- Environmental Cleaning Toolkit—Public Health Ontario
- An Infection Prevention and Control Committee report for Environmental Services—Association for the Healthcare Environment
- Infection Prevention and Control Competencies for Environmental Services—Association for the Healthcare Environment
The following links are APIC and external resources on environmental services and infection prevention for consumers.
- Prevent infections by keeping your environment clean—Monthly alert for consumers
- Clean your hospital room clean—Monthly alert for consumers
- Clean your home to prevent winter illness—Monthly alerts for consumers
- Clean your hands often—Infection Prevention and You