Since the beginning of the outbreak, APIC has been connecting with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the World Health Organization (WHO) to inform our leaders about what is happening on the ground in our healthcare facilities, and to inform infection preventionists about the latest guidance to keep patients safe from COVID-19. APIC and our 16,000 members are actively responding to COVID-19 and advancing our efforts that prevent healthcare-associated infections.
Join the APIC Action eList to receive the latest on COVID-19.
Tell Congress we need their support now to get more PPE.
Tell the Administration to take all actions necessary to get PPE.
Meet the COVID-19 Taskforce
- Click to learn more about APIC’s COVID-19 Taskforce
- Click to learn more about COVID SMART
- Click to access AJIC, The American Journal of Infection Control
APIC PPE/Supply Survey
Free APIC Text Online Chapter Collections
ATO Chapters on Outbreak Preparedness and Response, free through Sept. 30.
Long-Term Care Collection and our Long-Term Care PDF book here, free through Sept. 30th
N95DECON Consortium and APIC guidance on N95 decontamination
- Infection Prevention for Ambulatory Care Centers During Disasters (2013)
- APIC Position Paper: Extending the Use and/or Reusing Respiratory Protection in Healthcare Settings During Disasters (2009)
- Infection Prevention for Alternate Care Sites (2009)
- Lessons Public Health Professionals Learned From Past Disasters (2008)
From the CDC
Masks and Respirators
CDC and NIOSH handout on the critical differences between masks and respirators.
NIOSH, Reuse of N95
Guidance for extended use of limited reuse N95 Filtering Facepiece Respirators in healthcare settings.
PPE Use and Removal
CDC fact sheet showing preferred PPE use and removal.
CDC COCA Call and Webinars
SMEs provide emergency preparedness and response information related to COVID-19
CDC’s Health Alert Network (HAN) is CDC’s primary method of sharing cleared information about urgent public health incidents with public information officers.
Resources for the Public
Click below to find free resources from APIC and other organizations to educate healthcare workers and the public about COVID-19
APIC Public Policy Updates
APIC in the Media
- APIC Past-President Karen Hoffmann spoke to PBS about how people 60+ can protect themselves and others from COVID-19
- APIC President Connie Steed gave USA Today some insight on how the cruise ship industry needs to critically assess their infection prevention and control practices.
- APIC President, Connie Steed was interviewed by Good Morning America to provide tips and best practices to effectively clean more than just surfaces inside the home amid the coronavirus outbreak.
- APIC President, Connie Steed provides AARP information about how caregivers can limit their exposure to Coronavirus.APIC’s
- Immediate-Past President Karen Hoffmann talks with Kaiser Health News about how common cleaning and disinfecting agents can be used to combat COVID-19.
- APIC’s Immediate-Past President Karen Hoffmann talks with Kaiser Health News about how common cleaning and disinfecting agents can be used to combat COVID-19.
- APIC President, Connie Steed called into the “Len Berman and Michael Riedel in The Morning” show to discuss the importance of hand hygiene during the Coronavirus pandemic.
- APIC Past President Karen Hoffman quoted in Newsweek about herd immunity
- APIC Past President Karen Hoffman quoted in Consumer Reports about contamination from surfaces
- APIC President-Elect Ann Marie Pettis quoted in USA Today about the likelihood of football in the fall
- APIC President-Elect Ann Marie Pettis quoted in HealthLeaders about IPC best practices
- Ann Marie Pettis speaks to Hospital Infection Control and Prevention about convergence of COVID and flu season
- Ann Marie Pettis speaks to Infection Control Today about importance of CIC certification
- Ann Marie Pettis is quoted in Market Watch Newsletter on vulnerable populations
- Ann Marie Pettis is included in HealthLeaders’s Top 10 Clinical Care Coronavirus Stories
- Connie Steed is quoted in Modern Healthcare about the strain placed on IPs during COVID
- Karen Hofffmann is quoted in Modern Healthcare about extending the wear of PPE
- Connie Steed gives common sense advice to lifehacker about preventing COVID when kids go back to school
- Karen Hoffmann spoke with Dance Magazine about social distancing during movement classes
- Karen Hoffmann and APIC were referenced in a Well + Good article on infection control when using paper towel alternatives
- Ann Marie Pettis spoke with the Boston Globe about nosocomial spread of COVID-19
- Connie Steed is quoted in CEO Update about the launch of COVID SMART
For Media Inquiries please contact Liz Garman
- Assistant Secretary for Preparedness and Response (ASPR) Technical Resources, Assistance Center, and Information Exchange (TRACIE)
- Environmental Protection Agency List N (SARS-CoV2 disenfectants)
- Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS)
- Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) List N (SARS-CoV2 disenfectants)
- Food and Drug Administration (FDA)
- Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA)
Academia and NGOs
- Center for Infectious Disease Research (CIDRAP)
- University of Washington Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation (IHME)
- ECRI COVID-19 Resource Center
- Emory University School of Medicine COVID-19 Resources
- Johns Hopkins Center for Systems Science and Engineering (CSSE)
- National Ebola Training and Education Center (NETEC)
- Society for Post-Acute and Long-Term Care (AMDA)
- Study on Hydrogen Peroxide Vapor Sterilization of N95 Respirators for Reuse (Kenney, Chan et al, Yale)
- The Joint Commission
- World Health Organization COVID-19 page