Topic-specific infection prevention
- The APIC Text Online
- Industry Perspectives
- Career Center
- Infection Prevention and You
- APIC Consulting Services, Inc.
- APIC Program of Distinction
- Cost calculators
- Topic-specific infection prevention
- Antimicrobial Stewardship
- Catheter-associated urinary tract infection (CAUTI)
- Central Line-associated Bloodstream Infections (CLABSI)
- Clostridioides difficile
- Disinfection and Sterilization
- Ebola Infection Prevention and Control Resources
- Environmental Services
- Environment of Care
- Hand Hygiene
- Long-Term Care
- Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus Aureus
- Vaccine Preventable Diseases
- Quick Observation Tools
The most dire of COVID-19 symptoms disproportionately affect older adults and those with pre-existing conditions. APIC is pleased to offer complimentary access to the APIC Text Online Chapter Collection: Long-Term Care and the Infection Prevention Guide to Long-Term Care. Visit APIC’s LTC COVID-19 webpage to learn more about these and other key resources.
Long-term care facilities include nursing homes, skilled nursing facilities, and assisted living facilities. Like patients in acute care facilities, long-term care residents are at risk for acquiring healthcare-associated infections. Infection prevention and control programs in long-term care facilities can help prevent the spread of infection to vulnerable residents. This page contains long-term care infection prevention resources and education for both healthcare professionals and consumers.
The following links are APIC and external resources on long-term care for healthcare professionals.
APIC Implementation Guides and Published Resources
- Guide to Preventing Central Line-Associated Bloodstream Infections
- Guide to Hand Hygiene Programs for Infection Prevention (2015)
- Guide to Preventing Catheter-Associated Urinary Tract Infections
- Guide to the Elimination of Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) in the Long-Term Care Facility (2009)
- Infection Preventionist’s Guide to Long-Term Care ($)
- SHEA/APIC Guideline: Infection prevention and control in the long-term care facility (under review as of 3/26/2020)
- APIC Text Online (subscription required)($)
- Long-term care infection prevention skills pledge tool—from the AHRQ Safety Program for Long-Term Care: HAIs/CAUTI (funded by AHRQ, developed by APIC and HRET)
Education & Training
APIC offers a comprehensive collection of clinical education and professional development programs. The following resources are educational opportunities related to long-term care. Visit the Education & Certification page for more educational opportunities.
- EPI in Long-Term Care online course ($)
- The power of 10: Your role in preventing catheter-associated urinary tract infections in nursing homes—APIC/HRET infographic to educate consumers
- Lunch with an Expert: Innovative strategies to overcome infection control challenges in LTC—APIC Webinar (free for members)
- Additional APIC webinars for long-term care (free for members)
- Long-Term Care (LTC)—APIC membership section (members-only)
- MyAPIC IP Talk – APIC discussion board (members-only)
Search the American Journal of Infection Control website for more articles on long-term care. To access these articles, you need to first login to the APIC website as an APIC member or have a paid subscription.
- CDC – NHSN Long-Term Care
- CDC – Long-Term Care
- CDC – Core Elements of Antibiotic Stewardship for Nursing Homes
- Long-Term Care Advise-ERR e-newsletter ($)—Institute for Safe Medication Practices
- Influenza toolkit for long-term care employers—Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- Nursing home antimicrobial stewardship guide — Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality
The following links are APIC and external resources on long-term care and infection prevention for consumers.
- How to be a good visitor at a nursing home—Monthly alert for consumers
- The power of 10: Your role in preventing catheter-associated urinary tract infections in nursing homes—APIC infographic for consumers