Topic-specific infection prevention
- Industry Perspectives
- APIC Text Online
- Career Center
- Infection Prevention and You
- APIC Consulting Services, Inc.
- APIC Program of Distinction
- Cost calculators
- Topic-specific infection prevention
- Antimicrobial Stewardship
- Catheter-associated urinary tract infection (CAUTI)
- Central Line-associated Bloodstream Infections (CLABSI)
- Clostridium Difficile
- Disinfection and Sterilization
- Ebola Infection Prevention and Control Resources
- Environmental Services
- Environment of Care
- Hand Hygiene
- Long-Term Care
- Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus Aureus
- Vaccine Preventable Diseases
- Quick Observation Tools
Long-term care facilities include nursing homes, skilled nursing facilities, and assisted living facilities. Like patients in acute care facilities, long-term care residents are at risk for acquiring healthcare-associated infections. Infection prevention and control programs in long-term care facilities can help prevent the spread of infection to vulnerable residents. This page contains long-term care infection prevention resources and education for both healthcare professionals and consumers.
The following links are APIC and external resources on long-term care for healthcare professionals.
Implementation guides and tools
- Long-Term Care (LTC)—APIC membership section
- Infection Connection: Focusing on Long-Term Care
- Guide to the Elimination of Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) in the Long-Term Care Facility (2009)—Implementation Guide
- Guide to Preventing Catheter-Associated Urinary Tract Infections—Implementation Guide
- Infection Preventionist’s Guide to Long-Term Care
- SHEA/APIC Guideline: Infection prevention and control in the long-term care facility—AJIC special communication
- APIC Text (subscription required)
- Long-term care infection prevention skills pledge tool—from the AHRQ Safety Program for Long-Term Care: HAIs/CAUTI (funded by AHRQ, developed by APIC and HRET)
- A unit guide to infection prevention for long-term care staff — funded by AHRQ, developed by APIC and HRET
Education & training
APIC offers a comprehensive collection of clinical education and professional development programs. The following resources are educational opportunities related to long-term care. Visit the Education & Certification page for more educational opportunities.
- The power of 10: Your role in preventing catheter-associated urinary tract infections in nursing homes—APIC/HRET infographic to educate consumers
- Lunch with an Expert: Innovative strategies to overcome infection control challenges in LTC—APIC Webinar
- Visit the APIC 2016 Annual Conference website to search for education on long-term care
Prevention Strategist articles
The following links include articles about long-term care infection prevention from APIC’s Prevention Strategist magazine.
- Special Long-Term Care Supplement—Summer 2013
The following links are APIC and external resources on long-term care and infection prevention for consumers.
- How to be a good visitor at a nursing home—Monthly alert for consumers
- The power of 10: Your role in preventing catheter-associated urinary tract infections in nursing homes—APIC infographic for consumers